Obsolete Word of the Day

If you share my enthusiasm for interesting words and phrases, give this blog a try! It's just for grins and giggles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm just trying to have some fun.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

jarns, nittles, grawlix, and quimp

Okay, these aren't obsolete words, but they are names of something you probably never thought had names. These are the various squiggles and symbols used to denote cursing in the comics.

From what I can find, these words were coined by Mort Walker. If you don't know who he is, you obviously don't read the funny papers. Too bad for you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a bundle! I was searching exactly these words to describe something in words. Yes! to describe in English words of exactly the symbols that you descibe on your webpage.

--- solomantra

3/14/06, 1:44 AM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

I'm glad you found what you were searching for and that I was able to help. I do the blog for my own amusement, but I always get a kick out of it when I find that other people enjoy it, too. Thanks for the feedback!

3/14/06, 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Mik said...

Cool words, think I need to use them!

7/24/07, 8:52 PM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

Excellent! There are many words that have fallen by the wayside that should never have been discarded. Let's bring 'em all back!

7/24/07, 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I see that your from cleveland...
just curious, but do you happen to know the Benzenhoefer's from Austintown/Struthers.
Please E-Mail me back at:-
SLL2K5@aol.com

6/7/08, 9:41 PM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

Cleveland is a pretty big place and I actually live in a suburb to the west. Sorry, I don't know of your friends.

But thanks for reading the blog!

6/8/08, 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home