Obsolete Word of the Day

If you share my enthusiasm for interesting words and phrases, give this blog a try! It's just for grins and giggles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm just trying to have some fun.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

shumpgullion

A glutton.

I can't understand why no one uses this word anymore.

The interesting thing is my dad makes a particular hamburger/macaroni/corn/tomato sauce casserole that he calls "slumgullion".

HA! Slumgullion is in the dictionary; it is a meat stew. The etymology of the word is interesting: perhaps from slum, meaning slime and gullion, meaning mud or cesspool. Mmmmmm, yummy!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Sensei said...

Aloha G,
Here is an explanation for the term Slumgullion I found while looking up recipes for it. Thanks to your word, I now have a taste for it and am going to make it for dinner.

"Slum gullion" or "slumgullion" or just "slum", is a term from the California gold rush. It meant the mud left in the sluice when panning for gold, and the miners also used it to refer to a thin, watery stew or soup made from leftovers. The term first appeared in print in 1850. Every recipe for slumgullion that I found had different ingredients, which is logical since it was originally made from leftovers.

Here are some links to recipes:
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m0419M04.htm
http://www.twentymile.com/Cookbook/slumgullion.htm

Bon Appetite

S-

1/13/06, 7:42 AM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

See? A random blog about words that I find interesting has generated links to recipes and an expansion of your culinary experience. Is there no limit to my influence?

Thanks, Sensei. Hope it was more yummy than cesspool slime!

Aloha!

1/13/06, 3:55 PM  
Anonymous Sensei said...

Aloha G,
I finally made my slumgullion last night and it was pretty good. I used onions, 2 types of peppers, ground beef, elbow macaroni, and Manwich sauce. It wasn't like Mom used to make, but pretty close.
I have a pic, I'll email you and you can post it if you like.
S-

1/16/06, 9:54 AM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

Hey, that looks alot like my dad makes! But no Manwich sauce and no peppers. Tomato soup, onions, and corn instead. No peppers for me!
Enjoy, G

1/16/06, 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home