Obsolete Word of the Day

If you share my enthusiasm for interesting words and phrases, give this blog a try! It's just for grins and giggles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm just trying to have some fun.

Friday, January 20, 2006

whizz-bang

A mixture of morphine and cocaine injected subcutaneously.
-Maurice Weseen's A Dictionary of American Slang, 1934

I always thought whizz-bang meant great, wonderful, fantastic. As in, "What a whizz-bang idea!"

Look at that! Whizbang is in the contemporary dictionary and means "conspicuous for noise, speed, excellence, or startling effect". Now we know.

2 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and found it interesting. You have a reader in Nebraska!

-chris
http://brightstupidconfetti.blogspot.com/

1/20/06, 12:46 PM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

Thanks, Chris. I'm pleased with the positive response I've been getting. You're my first visitor from Nebraska! I think.

I'll check out your blog. Thanks again.

1/20/06, 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home