Obsolete Word of the Day

If you share my enthusiasm for interesting words and phrases, give this blog a try! It's just for grins and giggles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm just trying to have some fun.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

pareidolia

Today's word comes to us courtesy of the Sensei. It is not obsolete, but that doesn't matter.

Pareidolia is the erroneous or fanciful perception of a pattern or meaning in something that is actually ambiguous or random. It comes from the psychological term describing the mind's obsession with discerning patterns in essentially random objects. Like finding shapes in the clouds or faces on Mars or objects in ink blots.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Sensei said...

Thanks for using my word Scribbler

4/17/06, 12:58 AM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

It was my pleasure, Sensei. I learned a new one.

I just re-read my post and decided that I should have written this: "Paraidolia is the erroneous of fanciful perception of a pattern or meaning in something that is actually ambiguous or random. Sounds like my life..."

4/17/06, 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home