Obsolete Word of the Day

If you share my enthusiasm for interesting words and phrases, give this blog a try! It's just for grins and giggles.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

I'm just trying to have some fun.

Friday, December 29, 2006

give the goose

To hiss; from the sounds uttered by geese; theatrical slang.
- Albert Hyamson's Dictionary of English Phrases, 1922

Funny. I thought that would mean something else...

Our Forgotten English calendar also gives a quote today regarding "goose-dancing parties":

From Christmas to Twelfth-tide, parties of mummers known as "Goose-dancers" paraded the streets in all sorts of disguises, with masks on. They often behaved in such an unruly manner that women and chirldren were afraid to venture out. If the doors of the houses were not locked they would enter uninvited and stay, playing all kinds of antics until money was given them to go away.
- M.A. Courtney's Cornish Feasts and Folk-lore, 1890

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mardi Gras.-Beave

12/29/06, 2:52 PM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

More like Mardi Goose!

And how would you know!?

12/29/06, 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know things. I am things. I see things. I play with things. Mardi Gras is a thing. Things parttake in Mardi Gras. There are things in my head. I can hear them. Can YOU hear the things in my head? They say some of the strangest things. For instance, why would we need burlap? It chaffes me so. Grass tastes funny. Why are so many animals interested in eating it? Why do those animals taste so good? P.E.T.A.--People Eating Tasty Animals. Okay, I'll stop. The things asked me too.-Beave

12/29/06, 7:58 PM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

I will say what everyone is thinking: you, Thing, are very odd.

And remember, if God didn't want people to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them taste so good.

12/29/06, 8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd, or oddly APPEALING? And your preaching to the choir about delectible, delightful, tasty morsals of meat. I enjoy a good meat stupor.-Beave

12/30/06, 9:00 AM  
Blogger the scribbler said...

Oh! Oddly appealing, of course. I've always said so.

Mostly.

12/30/06, 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home